What are the campaign objectives?
We are calling on the Federal Government to:
- Replace the existing ‘Fast Track’ system with a single Refugee Status Determination process and an independent, timely and fair merits review
- Replace Temporary Protection Visas with a permanent humanitarian visa
- Increase funding to urgently clear the backlog of asylum applications and appeals
- Provide access to Medicare, income support, employment, mental health and other vital services
We are calling on state and territory governments to:
- Provide funding to local services who are supporting individuals and families seeking asylum
Who are we?
The Back Your Neighbour campaign is run by the Local Government Mayoral Taskforce Supporting People Seeking Asylum. The Taskforce is a group of local councils from across the country who are speaking up for the thousands of people living without support while their claims for refugee status are being processed. Some people have been waiting almost a decade for a final decision.